Assistive Technology

When I first learned about occupational therapy and what it is was, I kept hearing the word assistive technology thrown around. I had a general idea as to what it was, but always wanted to know more about it. The definition states that it is any piece of equipment, software program or product system used to increase, maintain, or improve the functional capabilities of a person with a disability. Assistive technology is further broken down into three different categories: low tech, medium tech and high tech. Low tech would be consider something like a pencil grip, medium tech would be considered something like a watch and high tech might be an Iphone or computer. As I have come to understand assistive technology can be any device used to be improve function capabilities.


Somewhat tying into assistive technology in a round about way, I listened to the glass half full podcast on nature based therapy with guest Amy Seymour. Just to sum it up and what I learned from the podcast it is basically occupational therapy outdoors. Perhaps you would use sticks and rocks to facilitate prolonged attention with children with ADHD or look for ants on a tree to help children with visual impairments. A quick personal story, when I was younger I had a speech impediment. I said my p's as f's and my teacher's name was Ms. Patty but that is a story for another day. Anyways I always hated going to therapy and I threw the biggest fits every time I had to go. Of course as most kids are I was obsessed with everything outdoors (rocks, sticks, fish, worms) so I think if nature was somehow tied into the therapy I would have enjoyed it much more. I really enjoyed listening to this episode and think this concept of nature based therapy is fantastic. As Amy said it can be a great way to facilitate goals in an alternative manner.

Comments

  1. It is important to think of Assistive technology as not only these complicated and high tech objects but also simple things such as rocks and sticks. I would even say that sometimes, these objects are even more beneficial than complicated technology because they may already be objects the the child has an interest in and it. If the child already has an interest, then it could make the learning curve for the child easier than complicated equipment.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

OT Acute Care Observation Hours

Nutrition Interventions